Friday, December 23, 2005

namer of bands

At the homeless dinner the other night, I sat with two friends, roman and mivan, who are both street musicians. I mentioned my idea of the big hair band “Lothario” to them (think Winger or Slaughter from the 80's), to which I got surly looks as their response. But then I came up with another band name, this time for a death metal band: “ANATHEMA” (which basically is a curse denunciation, a damning, if you will). This would be for a screamer band- the kind where you know they must be saying something, but it all just pretty much sounds like “RAAAAAAR!”

Roman and Mivan liked this one. I think it would be fun to have as a job title: namer of bands, partly because I think a really crappy band name is such a bummer (i.e.- one that is not catchy and/or conveys the band appropriately)- think of how many bands are actually successful at changing their name mid-stream and continuing on in success? Call it marketing or call it a demon for details, but the name of a band is in my mind as paramount as the talent found therein (but then again, I am a name snob…)

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

I still don't know about Lothario. It doesn't do anything for me.

I would lump "namer of bands" into the same job description category as "mattress tester." That's one that I used to want.

12:08 PM  
Blogger MezzoCO said...

I like that. I like ANATHEMA...good name. What would you name a folk duo?

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home