Monday, November 07, 2005

fuzzy teeth and all

i don't typically discuss these sorts of things on here because i do not see it as some sort of forum for discussions of topics bordering on the romantically relational. but tonight i went to hang out and see a friend, russ who is in town visiting from s.asia., accompanied by many old school friends.

it turned out to be the kind of affair where it's like trying to get an appointment with the dalai lama. so, apart from commenting on the color of the ganges and hearing a snippet about butter tea our communication was very limited.

i sat next to an old friend bill with his uber-cute one year old, gabriel. as we are updating each other on our lives, casually he interjects and asks if i'm married. just like that. usually it's the "are you dating anyone" question, which is great fun in addressing and coming up with creative novel versions of answers. it's kind of weird, as if i am trying to justify why i am not inclined at the moment. as if my life doesn't have validation just as is. later on i emerge from the bathroom and bill is standing there. as i'm trying to decide if i want to sidle my way back into the booth, some random friend of my "lama" friend asks if i am bill's wife. awkward moment in my head, i say no, we are old school friends. but then he has to insert, "though she's sexy enough." and my face turns 10 shades of purple.

later, at the other end of the table, i am sitting by stacey, elijah, larissa and glen, as three guys from school walk in. one of them mentions a date january 6th and of course back in my grad. school days this would mean marriage. and sure enough he is getting married. this is the guy who has refused to brush his teeth for the last seven years. he has fuzzy teeth that i am sure are ridged with plaque and funk and he's on his way down the altar. which means he has found someone who is willing to love him and kiss him in spite of having fuzzy teeth. wow.

so now i am contemplating my singleness in a new way. a little horrified and mystified that the playing field is narrowing. and i have become adept for the most part of shouldering my one status well. because there is a country that looms ahead, grabbing my attention, on which my eyes are affixed, against all others.

and yet mr. fuzzy teeth has met his match. what is the world coming to?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

I could either say that:

There's someone for everyone.
-or-
True love really is selfless.

Maybe his fiancee's a dentist.

(ps) your site's acting funky, az.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Loren said...

know who you're talking about. my sentiments exactly. yours made me laugh out loud.
got your call; was in SC for my sister's wedding; will call soon.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home