Monday, March 28, 2005

on transitioning

one thing about living in san francisco is that people do not usually stay in san francisco. now, i'm not talking leaving san francisco in quite the same way as one does las vegas. it's just most people don't settle down here to live out their lives until they are old and grey. but maybe that also accounts for my sense of wonder when i see the elderly shopping at the grocery store, methodically taking small steps on the sidewalk- i wonder how do they do it?

my roommate mindy is engaged to be married, as of last monday. this was a long time coming for mindy and her fiance daryl. nonetheless it is a transition. and then there's my friend ellen who is moving to texas to be close to her boyfriend brian. and my friend joel that just moved up to portland. my friend julie who's wedding is in two weeks, will soon be a reluctant resident in colorado springs, where her husband works. people are always in flux around here, which can be kind of jarring until you surrender into its reality and then it stops being this grand affair.

with the invention of the cell phone, email, and jet blue, it's not difficult to jettison oneself to the new location friends are rooting themselves into.

as for me, i'm moving too, but this time into a house with four women. i'm looking forward to cultivating hospitality and as virginia woolf espoused having "a room of my own." so the big question now is if i will paint it hyacinth or a pale salmon, or even a soft robin's egg blue.

tell me your thoughts on what kind of mood you think each will evoke. i'm open to feedback on this people.

5 Comments:

Blogger MezzoCO said...

Well....I'm partial to blue (duh), as it tends to have a calming influence
Hyacinth -- well, i've no idea what color that is
Salmon - could be nice and warm, as long as it doesn't get too pepto-bismo colored
other: a nice pale green could be fun...celadon, perhaps

5:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

my bedroom while i was in Greenville was a super pale blue. when the room was filled with sunlight you almost couldn't see the blue at all, but it was really soothing when i was laying there, trying to sleep. i don't think i would do salmon. and hyacinth? is that a purplish bluish color? that could be good too.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Personally, I'd go for a light mossy-green. And... just say "no" to the Salmon, it's fine for fish, not for walls (besides, who wants a wall painted a color named for the insides of dead fish?).

10:17 AM  
Blogger Shorel and Sandra said...

I've only lived in one place where I could paint the walls. At the age of 9, pale blue did the trick. Since then, it's been a life of paneling or dormitories.

I'd recommend icy blue. Something with zest that blossoms in spring and cools in winter.

Shorel recommends green, but I fear that green is such a seasonal iffy - and it also reminds me a tea.

Here's to you creating a room of your own!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

how 'bout a nice matcha green, annelies?

or maybe a light brown with lots of yellow and orange in it.

there you go -- green and brown!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home