Tuesday, August 22, 2006

close call

yesterday there was a shooting at the fort funston dog park. my roomie lori has made this a part of her post-work everyday ritual and yesterday, she and her friend had a hankering for coffee, which prevented them from encountering the man who shot three people and then shot himself to death. at random.

saturday, in my neck of the woods, a woman working the counter of a convenience store was shot and killed. several blocks from our house, there was a sexual assault of a walker. a man physically dragged a woman into golden gate park and had his way with her.

so when i see lebanon's ceasefire unraveling on camera and hear the commentary about how dangerous my little voyage to greece is going to be, i scoff. because in truth, there is no such thing as a safe / good place and a dangerous / bad place. that untruth was revealed after my junior high years. you just have to live in the riskiness inherent in life and be careful, yes, but not paranoid or worse, paralyzed. fear is an awful downer at a party.

and greece here i come. >:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

Wow, Annelies, I'm glad your roommate wanted coffee and stayed out of the way of that shooting.

Have fun in Greece! You and Katy are going to have such a great time!

9:57 AM  
Blogger MezzoCO said...

I am glad Lori is okay!
I was sorry to hear about the lady in the richmond shop - I had wondered if she was near you guys.

looking forward to NEXT WEEKEND!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home